Happy National Kale Day!
A year ago I never thought that I would get excited about a month of yoga and a day for kale! Times certainly have changed for me. Honestly, last year at this time I was not riding high on the kale train. I was totally against kale and for no reason…I had never even tried it! Once I started on my wellness path, kale was everywhere. Every blog. Every recipe. In my Twitter feed. All roads led to kale. I couldn’t escape it so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Fast forward one year and I eat kale everyday – most days I have it with every meal!
It’s time for you to get your kale on!
New to the kale party? Here are some great ways to ease into this superfood.
- Start with adding it to your morning smoothie. Try my all time favorite smoothie recipe and I promise you that it doesn’t taste like kale!
- If you are a green juice fan, adding a few kale leaves is the key to a fantastic juice.
- Add baby kale into soups or stews.
- Replace spinach with kale in recipes.
Ready to get a little more serious with kale?
- Try a massaged kale salad. Massaging the kale makes it tender (and oh so happy!). I love this recipe from Healthy Cooking Camp because it gives you a great base with add-in suggestions to jazz it up.
- Saute kale and garlic in coconut oil, toss in raisins and slivered almonds and sprinkle with cumin for a delicious side.
- Saute kale and mix together with scrambled eggs.
- Make this kale, black bean and avocado burrito bowl from Cookie and Kate. (I replace the brown rice with quinoa.) It is one of my favorite weeknight meals because you are prepare everything in advance and heat and serve when you get home from work!
Have I convinced you yet to give kale a try? Not sure what to do with it once you get it home? Robyn and Quinn, the lovely ladies behind Healthy Cooking Camp, have a great video about kale!
What’s your favorite kale recipe?