I freaking love my essential oils. I use them for everything from creating non-toxic cleaners and beauty products, to supporting my health and wellness, to creating a calm and relaxing home environment, to smelling heavenly, to getting restful sleep! I’m sharing my top 5 essential oils and the ways that I recommend using them.
This is the king of the oils. Seriously. I can’t really describe it – you definitely need to experience it for yourself. BUT, I will say that my meditations are next level when I use Frankincense. It’s so grounding and somehow smells sacred. I like to rub a few drops on my wrists and anoint my forehead before yoga. I also apply a few drops to my moisturizer to support my skin.
- Helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- Diffuse to enrich prayer, yoga, or meditation for a deeper spiritual connection.
I’m willing to bet that lavender is on everyone’s top list. It’s one of the few oils that I always have with me. It’s so calming – both for your emotions but also your body. It’s great for inflamed skin or muscle tightness. And it’s an essential part of my evening routine.
- Create a spa-like retreat by combining 1 cup Epsom salt and 4 drops oil and adding to a hot bath.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand to soothe occasional skin irritations.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle.
I used to basically bathe in hand sanitizer. I work with college students all day long and – let’s be honest – they aren’t the most germ-free population. I would use hand sanitizer before and after each appointment and squirt it on a tissue and rub down all of the surfaces of my office including my keyboard and all of my pens. Oh how times have changed! Now I rub a few drops of Thieves in my hands a few times a day. I also apply several drops to my feet at night.
- Apply several drops on the bottoms of your feet for immunity support.
- Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Combine a few drops of doTERRA OnGuard® with Fractionated Coconut Oil for a natural hand cleanser.
- Put in a few drops of doTERRA OnGuard® essential oil blend in your dishwater or dishwasher to thoroughly clean dishes and eliminate odor.
Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Melaleuca, or Tea Tree oil, is best known for its purifying qualities, which make it useful for cleansing the skin and home surfaces and purifying the air. It is a common ingredient in skincare products for oily or acne-prone skin. Unfortunately, those products are also filled with toxic chemicals – go to the source and try pure melaleuca!
- For occasional skin irritations or blemishes, apply 1–2 drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
- Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving.
- Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and keeps nails looking healthy.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
Peppermint is refreshing, cooling and energizing. Instead of reaching for your afternoon coffee, try a few drops of peppermint oil on the back of your neck and wrists. Peppermint helps me clear my mind and focus. It’s also wonderful for supporting you when you have a migraine because it creates a cool, tingling sensation on the skin (I always carry peppermint with me for this reason).
- Add 1-2 drops under your tongue to freshen breath.
- Place 3–4 drops onto a hot towel and hold over the abdomen for a cool, refreshing effect and to support digestion.
- Apply 1-2 drops to your temples, forehead and the back of your neck when you have a headache.
- Place 1 drop in palm of hand with 1 drop Wild Orange and 1 drop Frankincense and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up.
Bonus oil: Wild Orange
This is one of the reasons why I love dōTERRA oils so much – no other company has Wild Orange! Cold-pressed from the orange peel, Wild Orange is excellent for energizing and revitalizing. It is also commonly used as an effective tool for uplifting mood, as well as for its wonderful citrusy aroma.
- Use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and purify surfaces.
- Diffuse to uplift mood and energy levels and to freshen the air.
- For an energizing boost, dispense one to two drops in the palm of your hand along with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense. Rub palms together and inhale deeply from palms, then rub on the back of neck.
Interested in using these essential oils? Order a home essentials kit to get my top 5 (plus more!) + a diffuser!
ps: Please remember that I am not a doctor or health care provider. Nor I am a doctor of essential oils. As always, I’m sharing my personal experience and not making health recommendations. This post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease and is not intended to be a substitute or replacement for any medical treatment. Please seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional for your specific health concerns.