This is one of my favorite recipes and it’s in heavy rotation in my house. I wanted to “paleofy” one of my favorite meals – BBQ pulled pork. I have yet to find a paleo BBQ sauce in my grocery stores and don’t ever think to make my own sauce. This pork has great flavor on its own and I don’t miss the sauce.
1 boneless pork shoulder or roast (I usually use a 2 1/2 pound roast)
1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced into large wedges
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Add half the sliced onions to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix all of the spices together (you can adjust the measurements to taste).
- Dry the pork with paper towel, cut a few slits in the top to insert the garlic cloves, and rub the dry rub all over the pork.
- Add pork on top of the sliced onions and cover with the rest of the onion slices.
- Cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, usually 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred with two forks (removing any remaining fat).
I don’t use any liquid in this recipe and the pork remains tender. Sometimes I’ll mix in 1/2 a jar of salsa verde (be sure to check the label for sugar and other additives) to the shredded pork for a saucier version.